Re: [OM] (OT) Traffic

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Traffic
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 12:19:51 -0600
Bob Whitmire wrote:

> I did take my time. Vestige of Windows, I suppose. Every time I
> upgraded my Windows OS I could count on at least a week of tearing out
> my hair, calling people, fussing and fuming and otherwise dusting off
> my old Army vocabulary. Once I even had to take my machine to the
> computer store and have it fixed. My wife brought Leopard into the
> house just as it was released, and just as I was starting to print in
> earnest for last season. I couldn't imagine taking the chance of
> spending down time under the hood of my computer.

I just upgrade Lucy, my MacBook Pro, to Leopard.  Installed the OS onto
a shiny new hard drive in an external case.  Then Leopard said, "Hey!
If you're upgrading, do you want to import all of your apps, data, and
settings from the old one?  I'd be more than happy to help you with
that.  Just tell me where to look."

And it did.  No reinstalling stuff.  I'm sure I'll have to do some
driver/software updates, but I didn't have to reinstall every freakin'
thing like I would with a Windows install.  Gotta love that.

> I've got Time Machine writing to a 750 gig external hard drive. I've
> also got a 360 gig external hard drive that I use another program to
> back up to. Plus an extra 250 gig hard drive in the machine itself. I
> suppose I need to get one of those subscription storage options that
> allows storage on line for a complete off-site solution. Then I can
> feel safe. <g>

I haven't tried TM yet.  I have quite a mixure -- I have 2 old AGP G4's
running 9.2.2 for audio recording/editing stuff, 2 G5's running Tiger
for my wife and my main computers, the MBP which just got the bump to
Leopard, and a Mini connected to the home theatre system which is
running Leopard.

I may wait to upgrade the G5's until Snow Leopard comes out.  By that
point, I hope to have a Drobo (www.drobo.com) stuffed full of 1TB drives
that I can point all of the TM cliens to.

Check out those Drobos -- you want safe, huge, no-brainer backup and
storage capabilities?  Unlike traditional RAID where the drives all have
to match, you can just stuff whatever the hell you have lying around
into a Drobo, and pull the drives one at a time and upgrade them as
budget allows.... I know several serious digital photo guys who swear by
them.  One guy who also does digital video actually has about a dozen of
them online at any given time.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon