[OM] Dave's E-1 calibration

Subject: [OM] Dave's E-1 calibration
From: Donald <d1956m198d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 19:22:55 +0000
This refers to the Camera Calibration for Lightroom posted by Dave
Irisarri a little while back. I'll post my impressions to the list, in
case anyone is interested. I had hoped to get an example up, but haven't
managed it.

I like it, first of all. It punches up the greens in quite a few of my
shots where that is a marginal colour, overwhelmed by the browns and
greys of much mountain and moor scenery. The yellows too, of which there
are always a surprising amount (at least to me) in grass and foliage,
and often in other unexpected places like stone- and brick-work.

Just occasionally, though, it's too much; then dialling it back a bit to
taste can bring it back to acceptable limits. It's a personal thing. The
E-1's sensor certainly provides a nice mix and this is a lot closer to
it than the default Adobe settings; I now have Adobe Standard, CR 2.4
and CR 4.4, in addition to Dave's. Adobe Standard (for the E-1) isn't
half bad, but the mix doesn't quite get there. Some parts of the
spectrum just don't look right to my untrained and amateur eye.

The differences are subtle between 4.4, Standard and Dave's; I watched
the histograms at first, but actually saw more watching the image. Maybe
I just understood it better in the image (histograms is good, but me
still learning...)

What I might do is put them in my Presets, so I can guage effects before
applying and decide from the view in the Navigator what works or not for
the image in question.

Which reminds me, I really have to sort out my Presets into folders,
because there are gazillions of them...

Thanks Dave!

--
I'm a Mac, but I'm happy with my PC.