Re: [OM] 12 is enough

Subject: Re: [OM] 12 is enough
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 14:26:15 -0600
Well, I was going to state: "nothing to see here, move along."

On the one hand it honks me off.  Give me pixels and more of them!

On the other hand, it preserves our investment in cameras. If we've actually
finally reached a state of pixel equalibrium (where anything above a certain
point gains us little or nothing), then a pro-level camera of sufficient
pixel count should hold value over the long run.  Instead of upgrading for
perceived image-quality improvement, we upgrade for features or other
capabilities.

I believe that Olympus is actually acknowledging the elephant in the
room--the elephant that the industry is fearful of saying anything about:
DSLR sales are peaking and will start declining. You'll always have the
whacked-out "more-bigger-better" crowd that will spend whatever just to have
the shiniest camera at the scenic overlook, but for the majority of
consumers AND professionals, the cameras have reached a point where
additional investment results in minimal return.

This is actually a very dangerous point to be in for the manufacturers. This
means that the DSLR technology has reached a maturity and as such the sales
decline will be steady and disasterous to any company that doesn't adapt
accordingly.

That said, I'm hoping my next E-Blob comes in between 16-20MP.

AG