Re: [OM] 12 is enough

Subject: Re: [OM] 12 is enough
From: GMcGrath@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 14:40:57 EST
For me, 10 is enough.

This thread goes right along with thoughts I've been having lately. Back in
the days when we all shot film (I started with an OM-10 in about 1980, moved
up  to an OM-2S with an OM-3 for a backup, and then became a collector), many
serious amateurs and all pros had at least two bodies, in case one died at an
inopportune moment or so they could use two films or have two lenses mounted
at  the same time. I used various compact and superzoom digitals (including a
D-40,  Stylus 500, C-2100UZ, and Panasonic FZ20) until the E-510 was
announced. The combination of an interchangeable-lens SLR with "enough"
pixels,
in-body IS, and an "amateur" price was what I needed to jump  to a DSLR. My
E-system now consists of the E-510, five lenses, and an FL-36R  flash.

I've been very happy with my 510, but now I'm thinking about another body.
I'm going on a cruise in a couple of months and would like to have a  backup.
Or move up a little in the feature category and keep the 510 for a  backup. My
choices are between the E-520, E-620, and E-30. For me 10 MP is  really a high
enough resolution. I've made "useable" 8x10 prints from my 2 MP  C-2100. The
only attraction pure pixel count has for me is in being able to crop  more
radically. I like the enhancements in the 520 over my 510, but would like  to
have the swivel LCD of the 620. The move to the 620 has the drawbacks of  going
to an incompatible battery and larger file storage requirements. I'm
particularly perturbed about the different battery in the 620. System
compatibility
was a hallmark of the OM system from day one. The E-30 has  features I'm not
interested in, the larger file sizes, and heftier price  tag.

As I stated earlier, 10 MP is enough for me for the foreseeable future. My
ideal camera to move to next would be an "E-530," if Oly would produce a body
with the features of the 520 and throw in the swivel LCD.

Anybody form Olympus listening?

Greg