Re: [OM] Mammoth E-30 Product Review - Zone-10 Website

Subject: Re: [OM] Mammoth E-30 Product Review - Zone-10 Website
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 18:15:42 +0000
No, that doesn't persuade me, Piers :-).  The position, such as lat
and long, are not important, but the level/not level position is.  And
the accelerometers won't give any information when there is no
movement, whatever their relative positions or orientations.  You need
a gyro-stabilised platform to give level.

I'm about to buy an iPhone which has accelerometers; perhaps that will
persuade me.
On 9 Mar 2009, at 17:50, Piers Hemy wrote:

> Presumably by having the two devices set at 180 degrees to one
> another, you
> can compare the readings from each and work out the attitude of the
> camera
> body without needing to know its absolute position.  Thus the
> "leveller"
> simply allows you to adjust the camera attitude until the readings
> from each
> device are equal.  I suspect "load cell" would be a better
> description than
> "accelerometer", though doubtless the latter incorporates the former.

Thank goodness *someone* was paying attention when I wasn't!

> And that would be stationAry, please, Chris!

Chris