[OM] Well OT Hawk, was Visitor to our garden

Subject: [OM] Well OT Hawk, was Visitor to our garden
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 06:34:17 +0000
Heh!

He was just there for the publicity shot.  The Hawker Siddeley Hawk
was the first big trainer procurement for many years, replacing the
Gnat in the RAF's Advanced Training School.  But there were also plans
to sell it to other countries' air forces, including the USN
(http://bit.ly/UWxG
) and to use it as a light attack aircraft with bombs.  There have
been derivative etc ...

Anyway, it was a very important new buy, it worked, it was cheap and 3
of us were on the first Hawk course to teach ab initio students to fly
fast.

http://threeshoes-photo.blogspot.com/

Therefore it was newsworthy: one of our number was the first to fly an
instructional sortie, for which there was a photocall; I was the first
to go solo, cue another photocall.  I'm the only member of the course
still to be serving: Graham died while displaying the Hawk at
Bratislava while a test pilot for BAe (http://bit.ly/5kzUQ), whereas
Tim is an airline pilot, I believe.

Chris