Re: [OM] Sign of Spring

Subject: Re: [OM] Sign of Spring
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 13:06:13 -0500
On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This photo, not made with my Olympus gear, received a cool reception on
> another list.  I still like it.  Please give me your opinion.
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Crocus+2.jpg.html

I instantly liked the photo, but in the next moment I began to
question how accurately I was seeing what the original might have
looked like.  This in turn reminded me of difficulties I have had in
photographing white flowers.

On this monitor the highlights hold pretty well but the shadows might
be deeper than they need to be.  The stamens appear overly-saturated.
That's not so much a comment about the intensity of the color as the
fact that I can't make out much detail in them.  This kind of subject
is going to be difficult to make universally successful as a web image
because variances in people's monitors will make so much of difference
in how the subject is perceived.

I've actrually never seen white crocuses before.  I'd like to see the
original photo.   The petals remind me of egg shells.

Joel W.