Re: [OM] Mammoth E-30 Product Review - Zone-10 Website

Subject: Re: [OM] Mammoth E-30 Product Review - Zone-10 Website
From: "Paul Laughlin" <pelaughlin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:34:41 -0700
One of the most photogenic airplanes that I have ever seen.  I was the 39th
man to sign into the B-58 Test Force.  At that time, the only plane we had
was a C-47 christened Hustler's Mother.  LOL  The first time I ever saw a
B-58 they took us out on the ramp facing the main runway.  A Convair test
pilot flew down the runway and in the middle of the field pointed that thing
straight up and slow rolled out of sight.  Impressive, to say the least.
Four J-79 engines.  That aircraft had an interim reference system in it.
That astrotracker was the first one, as I remember.  They said that, at the
time, there were only three men in the world with the capability to grind
the glass astrodome.  Something to do with paralax and such.  This was all
50 years ago and I was 31 at the time.  I remember one time, after a test
flight when he had major problems getting the gear down, that Col. Cotton
looked back at the aircraft and said, "That thing will make you cut
buttonholes in the seat".  That crash at the Paris Air Show was, in all
probability, caused by an aerobatic maneuver tumbling the stable platform.
Doing a victory roll on departure for the states.
Paul in Portland OR