Re: [OM] 12 is enough

Subject: Re: [OM] 12 is enough
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 11:16:19 +0200
On 08 Mar 2009, at 2:35 PM, William Sommerwerck wrote:

> If you dig through the online reviews,
> you'll find a few pro photographers suggesting that the 5D's image
> quality
> is comparable to medium format (4.5x6). How do you get that out of
> 12Mp? I
> have a few theories, but I don't really know.

Hi William,

Speaking from my experience with the 5D and the very similar sensor in
the 1D MkIIN, the
likely reason for the gorgeous image output from both these cameras
are the incredible
per-pixel sharpness, due to the weak AA filter, and the complete lack
of noise reduction
at a software level, i.e. nothing 'smoothes' the output.

So even though there are far fewer data points in a 12MP bayer sensor
than even a 35mm
film frame, the signal to noise ratio is incredibly good, in several
dimensions (acutance,
read noise, etc).

One thing no digital sensor can do in a single shot (i.e. scanning
backs excluded) is make
an image comparable to a 6x17cm frame, say from a Linhof Technorma 617
camera. And there is also
definitely not a sensor which can capture the colour gamut of, say,
Provia or Velvia slide film.

Still, I must agree with this whole discussion, the megapixel race is
insane, and I would have
thought manufacturers to abandon it long ago. I *hope* Olympus shows
the way with their future
four thirds offerings... Even 10MP is already high, let's keep it
there and do something amazing
with DR / Noise. (wishful thinking).