Re: [OM] A wasted effort

Subject: Re: [OM] A wasted effort
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 20:52:24 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I don't doubt your word but I don't understand why. Is there a human vision
> component that is helping piece the image together?  I think something like
> that is hypothesized for digital due to the lack of grain.

The missing element may be edge contrast. As I've said many a time,
digital image capture, by its very nature, softens the contrast at
edges. Add to that lower contrast from the lens at f22, as C.H. reports,
and you have a classic case of hidden detail.

A digital image with a difference of one in the value of the brightness
across an edge has resolved that detail. But it is invisible to our
eyes, so we tend to assume it isn't there. Sharpening enhances the
contrast at edges, "magically" revealing what we couldn't see before.

"Sharpness" has never been a clearly defined quality in images. It's
some sort of mix of edge contrast, accutance, in film speak, overall
sharpness and resolution.

Moose