Re: [OM] A wasted effort

Subject: Re: [OM] A wasted effort
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 08:58:58 -0500
Jan (to the point) Steinman wrote:

> Not that I want to dissuade anyone from doing such research, but good
> goddess, man -- which one do you LIKE?

The very very first two lenses I bought for my OM-2S were the 35/2.8 and
100/2.8.  At the moment I'm not sure which was which, but they were
separated by one week. I think the 35/2.8 was first.  Somewhere along the
line, I stupidly sold the 35/2.8 and a couple years ago Tom Scales remedied
that by selling me another.

Without a doubt, if I could have only one lens for the rest of my life, it
would have to be the 35/2.8, but I would give up pizza to also have the
100/2.8.  There is no doubt that the 35/2.8 is hugely more useful than the
24/2.8.

However, a man could live comfortably with the 35-80...  Especially with the
bokeh!

But the reason for my exercise was to quantify what I have been experiencing
and determine once and for all where my problem spots with these lenses
are.  Doing the other lenses in my stable was just a bonus since I had
everything set up and it didn't take very long.

By no means am I saying the 24/2.8 is junk--far from it.  What I am saying
is that I've experienced image sharpness issues with the 24/2.8 which I knew
was user-induced, but without copious notes was phantom like in its
appearance and disappearance.

I will retest with the E-3 as that will give me a better idea of what's
going on in the fringes.  We've done identical controlled tests with the E-3
using center and edge targets in an attempt to profile the 12-60, 14-54 and
50-200.  BTW, all three are stellar performers.  I've got all the raw files
from those tests, but haven't gotten around to doing anything with them yet.

AG