Re: [OM] The ones that get away.

Subject: Re: [OM] The ones that get away.
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 12:59:42 -0400
On Mar 16, 2009, at 3:56 PM, Tom Fenwick wrote:

> I was still thinking about it three hours later when I drove back
> and looked wistfully at the empty bus stop.

I don't mean to sound like a smart-ass here, but you saw it. The fact
you didn't photograph it is not so important. True, we should always
be ready to deploy gear and get the shot, but that's not always
possible. (Unless your name is Nathan. <VBG> The most important thing,
IMO, is that you _saw_ the shot, and everything around it. You were
paying attention. Paying attention is a good thing. Good pictures are
secondary.

The "shot" that caused me to finally pick up a camera again after a 20-
some-odd year hiatus was a shot I saw but didn't get, mostly because I
didn't have a camera at the time. Cemetery on a knoll at the edge of a
wood. Big-ass oak tree right smack atop the knoll. Yellow light, early-
middle morning, bodacious god-rays spreading from the canopy of the
old and gnarly oak. Took my breath away. At that moment I started
thinking about maybe picking up a used camera of some kind, 'cause
Maine was kinda pretty and it seemed a waste not to at least attempt
to get a few good snaps.

Three--possibly four--years went by before I finally couldn't stand it
anymore and commandeered my son's OM-2n, which a relative had given
him. He didn't like it because it had knobs you had to turn and stuff.
Sigh.

The rest, alas, is history.

--Bob Whitmire
www.bwp33.com