Re: [OM] CoC and DOF, was: The ones that get away.

Subject: Re: [OM] CoC and DOF, was: The ones that get away.
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:32:48 -0500

> I like them.  Am I wrong?

"Pretty" but highly average considering that every photographer with a
tripod is getting exactly the same shot.  MR is an amazing photographer with
an outstanding sense of timing. But his Zion pictures, to me, are so far,
quite underwhelming.  I sense the prevailing attitude these days of "if you
can't make it better, make it bigger".

If I was his photography teacher, I'd give those pictures a "C+".
Outstanding in "technical" terms, but a failure in originality and interest.

I'm harsh because I've seen much much better from him. There is nothing
compelling about these photographs.  It is obvious to me that he was looking
for photographs to prove the value of the P65 back.  Inotherwords, he
approached this shoot from a gear-head perspective, not from an artistic
perspective.

But he's highly successful and I'm not, so obviously I'm wrong.

AG