Re: [OM] Swamp walk at the Big Cypress Gallery

Subject: Re: [OM] Swamp walk at the Big Cypress Gallery
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 01:29:11 -0400
Fernando's amigo says it is a heresy to not use the corrections in the
scanner software and correct in photoshop. The software can give you the
option to improve the scan by using the controls in the scanner, like taking
a raw or a jpeg. In photoshop you transform the pixels captured, in scanner
you improve the capture so there is an enormous difference.

He is wrong if you're talking about curves and levels adjustments in the
scanner software. These function after the raw data has been converted to a
colorspace chosen in the software, so they act just like the same controls
in Photoshop. Some scanners, like my nikon 8000ED, let you adjust the actual
exposure time the scanner uses and THIS does let you have real control that
you can't duplicate in Photoshop.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography