Re: [OM] Swamp walk at the Big Cypress Gallery

Subject: Re: [OM] Swamp walk at the Big Cypress Gallery
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 12:25:50 -0500

> He is wrong if you're talking about curves and levels adjustments in the
> scanner software. These function after the raw data has been converted to a
> colorspace chosen in the software, so they act just like the same controls
> in Photoshop. Some scanners, like my nikon 8000ED, let you adjust the
> actual
> exposure time the scanner uses and THIS does let you have real control that
> you can't duplicate in Photoshop.

There are some controls which control the scanner, and others which are file
manipulation. If a person saves the file in16-bit mode, all of the file
manipulation controls may be done in Photoshop instead.  However, the
advantage of the scanner software controls (curves, LCH, etc) is that these
are done prior to any file save operation.  Most of the time, I will use the
NikonScan software to get as close to final result as possible (or even as
the final result for some applications) and then save the file as a plain
old 8-bit JPEG.

AG