Re: [OM] [Leica] IMG: Nathan's PAW 11: dogs and beach -- addendum

Subject: Re: [OM] [Leica] IMG: Nathan's PAW 11: dogs and beach -- addendum
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 21:05:22 -0700
Ken Norton wrote:

> A crowded elevator smells differently to a short man.

Assuming an elevator has a sense of smell. "Differently' says the
elevator is doing the smelling. The sentence suggests that the mechanism
of smell works differently in an elevator than it does in a short man.
The usage is awkward, as it would normally be "differently than".

I suppose you meant "different to".

Other than holding up my end of the needle, I mention this because I
always thought the objections to the Apple "Think Different" slogan were
mis-directed.

If you say an image of a person dropping items in a recycling bin, with
the tag line "Think Green!", you might understand that the reference is
to thinking about an adjective appropriate to responsible behavior.
"Think Greenly" makes no sense, as the adverb then applies to the
viewer's process of thinking.

If you say an image of a Ferrari slightly blurred by the awsome speed at
which it is traveling, with the tag line "Think Fast!", you might
understand the line to be a play on words; both urging you to think of
an appropriate adjective to apply to Ferrari and referencing the common
colloquialism "think fast!", so often accompanied by an object rapidly
approaching one's person.

Pedantic Moose