Re: [OM] (OT) Mud Season in Maine

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Mud Season in Maine
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 14:13:45 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Must be they couldn't find their way.  They were still driving down the roads
> of the Oregon coast when I was there this past fall.  :-)

Naw, the logs are smaller these days. I can recall seeing some of those
trucks carrying only a single piece of tree trunk, and looking
overloaded at that.

Brakes are better now than in bygone days. Used to be the truckers knew
just how much brake they could use before they faded. They would go at
quite scary speeds on some downhills, knowing there was a grade ahead
where they would slow down without using brakes. If one of those came
into your rear view mirror on a two lane blacktop, you just got on the
accelerator, 'cause he might not be able to slow down for you. And you
SURE didn't want him passing you.

Pretty much all of Oregon timber country was clear cut 150 years ago or
so. There are tracts worth harvesting now, but the individual trees are
nowhere near the size of the old growth stuff. If it weren't for the
redwoods, people would be visiting parts of NoCal and Oregon to marvel
at the Douglas Firs. The old growth ones are BIG.

Huge patches of NoCal and Oregon are now "sustained yield". In the parts
of So. Central Oregon we visited recently, they leave a buffer of uncut
forest along the public highways, so it feels like one is traveling
through virgin forest. Behind that buffer, big squares are clear cut,
then reseeded for the next round.

Memories of Monsters Moose