Re: [OM] Anniversary

Subject: Re: [OM] Anniversary
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 09:21:27 -0500

> But just to add my 2c, it is a bloody amazing camera. I don't think
> I'd ever part with it, it captures a scene with a fidelity which I have
> never seen in anything other than 5x7in and larger formats. In testing, a
> 10-shot panorama stitch from an Olympus E-3 still resolves
> less, and captures subtle graduations in colour and light far worse
> than that big piece of Provia.

I know it's sick, but I've kinda had a burr in my saddle for a large-format
camera, such as a 5x7 or 8x10 for making contact prints.  I did enjoy 4x5 to
a certain extent, but realized that 4x5 is a neither fish, nor fowl format
as it's too small for contact prints, but too large for most applications.
I really need to pick up a decent quality flatbed scanner one of these
days...

> But it is so the complete opposite of the OM, which is (similar to
> Leica M) about spontaneous, but pre-planned shots taken often discreetly.

That has been my premise all along.  The OM is the SLR that Leica should
have made.  After seeing how Joel Meyerowitz shoots with the Leica M, I
altered my own way of shooting and I'm seeing a marked difference
(improvement) in my own photography.  I had been shooting the OM like a
medium-format camera, not like a Leica.

Anyway - I wouldn't rally swop it for a 3Ti, but I just wanted to
> establish, Ken, how much you value yours. Since the Linhof 617 is a $7000+
> camera, I would say pretty much :-)

It would have been an abandonment of the purpose of the generosity of others
in making my current OM kit possible.  Also, the 3Ti has tremendous
utilitarian value to me. Although the OM-2S is pretty close, I have never
worn out an OM camera before--the OM-3Ti is one that I'd like to try. The
OM-2S, following another CLA will probably serve just fine till the day I
die--it's not THAT worn out--the 100,000 exposures on the clock is still
within its lifespan. So the OM-3Ti has a long ways to go, I guess--based on
wear patterns (or total lack thereof), I'd say that the OM-3Ti isn't even
broken in yet.

AG