Re: [OM] Red River Valley

Subject: Re: [OM] Red River Valley
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 09:44:22 -0500
Oh dear.  That seems unnecessarily pusillanimous.  Do you think anyone
*expects* your sympathy?  Why?

Humans have lived along the water since the beginning of time.  It has
some certain albeit defensible dangers but provides benefits too
obvious and too many to name.  If you wish to live on a hill, you do
so because of an infrastructure which makes water available to you and
most likely carries the water you waste back down to the flood plain.
Blame people who are affected by flooding and it's like your hands
blaming your legs for getting stuck in the mud.

Fargo is experiencing the worst flooding in its history.  All known
criteria about flood plains are meaningless now and will have to be
resorted.  People made intelligent decisions based upon the best
information available to city planners, engineers, DNR, etc.  When the
data changes, it's easy to blame the victim and say they're dumb and
deserve what they got.  It's as old as the Book of Job.

In my case, I bought riverfront property because it was 4 miles below
a reservoir and affected by only one major creek upstream.  The
reservoir had protected the area for 40 years.  After the record 1993
flood, I rebuilt and raised my home.  In the 2008 flood, which rose 4
feet higher than the 1993 flood, my house held up and recovery was
very annoying but relatively easy when one considers how much of my
community was devastated. But in the course of both floods, I never
expected anyone's sympathy.  For one thing it comes at the wrong time.
 When one would sort of like to be remembered, people have moved on
and forgotten about it.  Sympathy or fellow feeling improves the
individual who has it, mostly.

In any case, I hope where you live, you are never threatened by acts
of nature, and if you are, I hope no one blames the victim.

Joel W.