Re: [OM] Red River Valley

Subject: Re: [OM] Red River Valley
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 11:09:15 -0500

> It may not be the wisest decision financially, but it is very hard to
> think about trading my neighbors for people who haven't been through
> what we've all been through together.  In addition to that, the City
> would simply bulldoze my home and carry it to the landfill.  Aside
> from my own personal investment in the home, that just seems like such
> a waste of a structure that is completely unique.

"Unique" is an understatement.  Your house is downright cool!  You may not
have the huge indoor swimming pool (at least by design) and wrap around
glass that Tom Scales has, but you've got a deck to kill for and a terrific
view.  And it isn't small either.  I think we could fit most of the units of
my condo inside your house.

This is another example where the infrastructure failed.  Had the gov
entities been releasing the waters earlier instead of letting it rise to
top-out point, Iowa City would have experienced only moderate flooding, not
the catastrophic flooding that destroy not only your neighborhood, but so
much of the University.  Not to mention Oakville!

Again, for perspective, we had a wet spring so the rivers were already at or
near flood-stage, but when the summer storms started, they would douse
locations with 8-12 inches of rain within hours.  Nearly all rivers in Iowa
flow from NW to SE, and the next day, another line of storms would blast
another spot on in the river basin with 8-12 inches of rain.  The next day
would repeat again, but what was happening was each line of storm was
slightly south or east of the previous storm, which caused a tremendous
swell in the river levels.

As each major river flows catycorner across the state, during the NCAA Field
and Track tournament in Des Moines, we had nearly 100% isolation
east-to-west across the state.  You literally couldn't get from Des Moines
to Chicago without traveling 250 miles out of your way.  Interstate 80 was
closed where there was 10-15 feet of water over the top of a river bridge.

I work for a telephone company, and we experienced over 500 cable and fiber
breaks from washouts last year.  And folks, these happened not only in the
river valleys, but in the hills too.

AG