Re: [OM] Earth Hour

Subject: Re: [OM] Earth Hour
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 08:14:04 +1100
Not really - he's really criticising the need we seem to have for
simple answers and symbolic gestures.
It is possible to argue that seeing as we've massively increased the
populations of wax and tallow producing animals like sheep and bees,
the use of candles is still well out of environmental equilibrium.
But these are all trivial anyway, as is Earth Hour except for the
folorn hope that it may change the way people think and behave on a
more consistent basis. It's the same criticism used against our
annual 'Clean Up Australia' day - it gives the participants a nice
warm feeling but it does nothing to address the source of the
problem. The only value is that some of those participants may notice
how much of it comes from supermarkets, snack foods and fast food -
and then modify their behaviour.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx