Re: [OM] More Seagate Barracuda

Subject: Re: [OM] More Seagate Barracuda
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 07:49:32 -0500
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 10:19 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Joel Wilcox wrote:
>>
>> Good timing!  Thanks Chuck.
>>
>> I'd thought I had another bay, but I only have two and they're both filled
>> on my Optiplex 620.  I guess I'm going to have to retire one of my 250 GB
>> drives to swap in the 1.5 TB.
>>
>> This device is looking attractive for backing up:
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121046
>>

> I don't know about that one. At least Chuck and I, and I seem to recall
> someone else here, are using this model.
> <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153071&Tpk=thermaltake%20blacx%20esata>
>
> eSATA drives don't hot swap on my Vista. I need to ask for a disk rescan.
>> Can be used with either USB or eSATA.  Anybody try one?
>>

> I posted some performance data on mine to convince C.H. that eSATA can
> be much faster than USB 2.0. The 1.5TB drives are quite speedy, quiet a
> bit faster than my 500GB drives.
> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Misc/WDC1500_eSATAvsUSB2.jpg>

Thanks Moose.  I do recall your several messages about eSATA and liked
that as an option, along with USB (in case USB tasks my patience when
the time comes).  Right now I use USB to backup to a MyBook and it's
all right, as I usually walk away from the PC for a few hours and
don't think about it.

Joel W.