Re: [OM] Strange CF Card behaviour

Subject: Re: [OM] Strange CF Card behaviour
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 14:00:50 -0400
I'm not sure that "this condition" is actually known.  First I would
verify the integrity of the disk if not already done.  After full
formatting on the computer (which should be checking for bad sectors)
copy enough image files to the card to fill or nearly fill it up.  Then
run a file compare program between the source and the card to see if all
the bits match.  Lacking a third party comparison utility with a
reasonable interface one can use the "comp" command in the command
prompt window.  Alternatively just load the image files into your
browser.  If the card passes all these tests then lame Oly firmware is a
given.

To try to recover I would suggest reformatting the card (A) in the PC
again and then, using another card freshly formatted in the camera (B),
right click on the drive indicated for card B and copy the entire
contents of B to card A.  That should copy all of the camera created
contents on B to the recalcitrant card A.  It should include any files
and their attributes and possibly hidden files.  If this doesn't work
throw away the card and buy a different brand of camera.  If you only
have one external reader/writer you can place the card A there and use
the camera as the reader for card B.

Chuck Norcutt