Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 6, Issue 2

Subject: Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 6, Issue 2
From: "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgeezer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 04:40:48 -0700
> To try to recover I would suggest reformatting the card (A) in the PC
> again and then, using another card freshly formatted in the camera
> (B), right click on the drive indicated for card B and copy the entire
> contents of B to card A.  That should copy all of the camera created
> contents on B to the recalcitrant card A.  It should include any files
> and their attributes and possibly hidden files.  If this doesn't work
> throw away the card and buy a different brand of camera.  If you only
> have one external reader/writer you can place the card A there and
> use the camera as the reader for card B.

The CF card in my E-500 has a section it refuses to read on the camera.
(Ironically, it contains the single most-important photo I've taken with the
camera, an absolutely unreplaceable image. Fortunately, I'd backed it up
long ago in several other places.) It /does/ read on my computer's card
reader. (Go figure.)

I'm not ready to dump everything on the card into backup. So asked Olympus
customer service about copying the card's contents, reformatting the card in
the camera, then rewriting everything to it.

Olympus told me that this will result in an unreadable card, and that they
make no software (including the interface software that comes with the
camera) that allows this.

I was flabbergasted. Anyone know anything about this? It makes no sense.