Re: [OM] Trip to the US?

Subject: Re: [OM] Trip to the US?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 17:14:36 -0400
We have an Old Country Buffet here locally. It is part of a chain of
other restaurants all having "Buffet" in their name... Home Town Buffet,
Old Country Buffet and Country Buffet. <http://www.hometownbuffet.com/>
You can eat lots for cheap.  The food ranges from good to so-so.

When we were traveling around the country we avoided chain restaurants
whenever possible and searched first for local restaurants.  We depended
heavily on our AAA state-by-state travel guides for both food and
lodging and were never disappointed.  In some cases we sought the
recommendations of the hotel staff.  That usually worked also but we
were sorely disappointed by one hotel manager's recommendation for a
good Texas barbecue restaurant.  I do know good Texas barbecue and that
wasn't it.  :-)  But all in all we had excellent food from the local
restaurants and I discovered some foods I'd never had before.  Some
which I liked and some which I didn't.  In the Upper Peninsula of
Michigan I discovered that I really like fried Walleye Pike (firm white
flesh like cod or haddock) and don't like "pasties" (that's this type,
pronounced past-eez, not the type with the long A :-)
<http://kenanderson.net/pasties/michigan.html>

Chuck Norcutt