Re: [OM] Room for another Film vs Digital test?

Subject: Re: [OM] Room for another Film vs Digital test?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 17:45:58 -0500

> I would suggest that both rigs are suffering from diffraction at the
> apertures selected and each should open one stop.

At that print size?  Probably pretty close to the limit.  One stop open for
both would definitely get it closer to ideal, but I think that at that print
size we're at the point of diminishing returns as compared to the advantages
of the increase in DoF.

What really becomes evident in a test like this is the inherent advantage to
the film configuration due to micro-contrast.

And as to the subject of contrast vs dynamic range, you can do a lot of
balancing there by using split-grade printing.  This gives you the ability
to have a ton of contrast while maintaining the gentle tonal gradients.

I maintain that a well-processed and printed Ilford PanF negative on a fiber
silver-gelatin paper will easily surpass anything remotely possible with
digital.  Digital is getting much much better, but this final frontier
hasn't been crossed yet.

AG