Re: [OM] [OT] -. tandoori oven

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] -. tandoori oven
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 02:21:18 -0700
SwissPace wrote:
> Yep I guess so, I have got to get a gadget purchase in somehow this year ;-)
> , although I do believe it cooks much hotter than a BBQ.

Indeed, both hotter and differently. Chicken, breads and such are
slapped directly on the frighteningly hot terra cotta sides. The heat
coming out of a commercial one looks like it's coming from a blast furnace.

Fortunately, I don't need one, as we have finally found an Indian food
place that is excellent and reasonably priced. Years ago, I read a piece
in the Food section of our newspaper by an Indian woman. She claimed it
was imposbile to get really good Indian food in a restaurant for
cultural reasons. A restaurant is a business, and that's mens work,
while women actually cook all the food in homes.

Sure enough, when I started looking carefully, I found that all
employees at Indian restaurants at which I ate were men, with one sole
exception, a woman waiter, non-Indian, at one pretty good place. Years
have passed, times change, and we now eat at a restaurant run entirely
by women, from busing to cooking to owner. And the food is just lovely.
It's all pretty much the same dishes, but somehow lighter, with fresher,
subtler/more complex flavors.

And Crepevine is opening just down the hill soon - oh joy!

Happy Eating Moose