Re: [OM] Point Lobos [was Edward Weston - NY Times feature]

Subject: Re: [OM] Point Lobos [was Edward Weston - NY Times feature]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 03:20:40 -0700
Ian Nichols wrote:
> 2009/3/29 Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>:
>

>> With no intent to compare my photography with that of Weston - except that
>> I'm willing to go further than 500 yds - I have a gallery of Pt.Lobos images
>> that I rather like.
>> <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Monterey%20-%20June%202006/Point%20Lobos/index.html>
>>

> For some reason, I'm attracted to number 29 - those windswept trees with
> their bleached trunks look a bit surreal.  Oh, and the show-off sea otter,
> especially number 124.

Those trees are Monterrey Cypress, and have a rather limited range along
the central Calif. coast. There are also quite a few along the No.
coast, mostly in windbreaks, many of which are getting pretty old and
losing some trees.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Miscellaneous&image=_MG_4100ii.jpg>

There are also a few stands in protected spots right at the coast. I
don't know if they are natural, or offspring of the windbreaks., The
twisted, bleached trunks are common to all of them, but particularly
interesting, as here, where they grow in the winds off the ocean. The
foliage texture is also unique and instantly recognizable even from a
distance.