Re: [OM] Point Lobos [was Edward Weston - NY Times feature]

Subject: Re: [OM] Point Lobos [was Edward Weston - NY Times feature]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 15:15:41 -0700
Sorry my link went wonky. That's happened a couple of times long ago.
Let's try again.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Monterey%20-%20June%202006/Point%20Lobos/slides/DSCF0984rt.html>

I KNEW I could count on Drs D&D to deliver a detailed technical treatise
- that would have done no good to know at the time.  :-(

The problems are: First, these were just a few casual shots I took while
doing more focused (ha, ha) shooting with the 5D. A couple are to get
close to things I couldn't with the lenses I then had and carried with
me for the 5D. Nowadays, the 90/2.8 macro is always in the now larger
fanny pack I carry with the 5D. The other shots were just snaps.

The second problem is with the F10 itself. It has no manual control
functions. Yes, it has a "Manual" setting, but all that does is allow
one to set EV compensation, metering mode, and WB. Exposure and AF are
entirely automatic. I learned to adjust exposure by using spot metering
to get it right on the LCD, then reframe and shoot. In this case, I
could probably have increased the aperture by lowering the ISO, although
focus point with such a scene would have still be largely pot luck. But
if I were that interested, I'd have pulled out the 5D.

I've since replaced the F10 with the F30 when it became available, which
gives aperture and shutter priority modes and pretty complete manual
control.
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> The F10 actually has a 1/1.7" sensor which is a bit smaller than a 2/3"
> sensor.

Hey! I knew that. Late night brain fart.

> <snip lots of good details>
>
> I haven't done any precise calculations but, for the small F10 sensor at 6MP
> I'd guess that you're already diffraction limited above f/4 and most
> certainly by f/5.6.

I wouldn't be surprised. Perhaps I should have left it in fuller auto,
and it might have picked a lower ISO and wider aperture - or not. :-)

Moose