Re: [OM] IMG: Another Backyard Visitor

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Another Backyard Visitor
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 07:27:42 +1000
Exactly. I called it a 'slingshot' so that the murkins would know
what I meant. As a child in the UK we called them 'catapults' and
Australians call them a 'Shanghai' for some reason. Same device - a
'Y' shaped fork of tough wood with strong elastic and a 'sling' for
the hot. The commercial and powerful sporting slingshots are now
illegal here as they are potentially lethal.
Catapult from the greek - kata-pelt (down-shield) indicating that it
was a weapon that could penetrate down through a shield - it was
applied to weapons that threw a projectile like an arrow or those
that hurled a rock or burning mass. The traditional slingshot (of
David) was simply a personal version for a society that had leather
but not elastic.
http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/war/Catapults.htm
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx