Re: [OM] Point Lobos [was Edward Weston - NY Times feature]

Subject: Re: [OM] Point Lobos [was Edward Weston - NY Times feature]
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 08:37:56 -0500

> I just checked the specs for the 1D ($5,000) and the 1Ds ($8,000) and
> "DEP mode" is nowhere to be found on the high-end stuff either.

Which begs the question as to why a camera manufacturer would dumb down (ie,
remove features) unnecessarily?  Here I thought only Olympus pulled that
kind of boner when they removed the spot-meter button from the E-series.

Three things about the Canon really surprises me:

1. They haven't come out with a Digital EOS with the Pellicle Mirror,
2. No Digital EOS with eye-control AF
3. Missing features like DEP. (except for select low-end cameras)

All three items have been in multiple EOS film cameras but have been missing
in action on the digital bodies.

This is not a slam against Canon in the least.  It's a puzzlement to me
because these were tremendous advances which have been largely ignored by
today's product managers.  I used to occasionally use an EOS RT "back in the
day" when I did part-time work for a team-picture mill. I really did enjoy
that camera.  However, I remember that it was a bear to manual-focus.

AG