Re: [OM] A simple portrait light

Subject: Re: [OM] A simple portrait light
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 10:55:09 -0400
Just a large, collapsible, translucent reflector/filter placed in front
of a sunlit window to provide an alternative to soft northern window
light.  Other options are sheer curtains, sheets, etc.

The article is about making best use of ambient light for photographing
families in their homes.  In the case illustrated a child of about 18
months was photographed standing on a chair holding onto the back of the
chair while supported by mom down low and behind.  Also the entire
family seated on the floor of their living room lit from the filtered
window light.

The author comments that he always looks for suitable windows and sun
position to avoid hauling in all the lights if possible.

If you're into portraiture, lighting, and PhotoShop you could do much,
much worse than signing up for this weekly blurb.

Chuck Norcutt