Re: [OM] Gallery Review

Subject: Re: [OM] Gallery Review
From: Tom Fenwick <super.wide@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 21:10:07 +0100
2009/4/9 Joel Wilcox wrote:

> > http://www.pbase.com/tom_77/upa
> >
> > and
> >
> > http://www.pbase.com/tom_77/upb
>
> I enjoyed looking at these again, re-cast in new galleries.  They
> seemed to be interested in fairly obvious juxtapositioning, ironic or
> otherwise.  Other than that, I'm wouldn't be exactly sure why some
> others were not included.

I think perhaps looking at the prints would help.  As well as the
juxtapositions there is something going on with their favorites that doesn't
come across so well in the small jpgs...  The unreal elements look more real
than the real ones, the bits that jump off the paper are the bits that were
actually flat, and there are some dislocating effects while you figure out
what you're really looking at.

> > Very useful thing to have done.  I'm still grinning about some of it.
>
> Do tell more ... :)

Basically it was great to see them playing around with my photos, obviously
enjoying it and enthusiatic, and keen to grab all the extras I'd taken in
reserve in case they asked about certain things.

I think the lesson is that one of the collections is worth working on
carefully with the best glass - I want to see how far the printing can be
pushed, while for the other one my snap-happy approach is more appropriate
and adequate for likely uses...

Tom