Re: [OM] IMG: a walk in Granada

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: a walk in Granada
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 08:28:48 -0400
Since you've asked on-list as well as off I'm posting the same response
here below that I sent you privately.

Chuck Norcut

Use Edit => Transform => Perspective (or Distort).  Pull the sides of
the image window out away from the image about 25% on each side so you
have some room to work outside the bounds of the image.

You will see that there is a bounding box drawn around the image.
Change the perspective by pulling or pushing the corners of the box
outside of or inside of the image.  If you are using the "Perspective"
transform both sides of the box will move together and apply equal
correction on both sides.  If you are using the "Distort" transform each
side will move independently.  In a recent post Moose commented that he
preferred the Distort transform because sometimes it helps to be able to
apply slightly different transforms on either side.  I agree.  But I
would suggest you try the Perspective transform first.  Then, after you
see what it does when you pull the top right corner straight out, cancel
out and switch to Distort and adjust each side individually to... what
just looks right.

Vertical perspective is altered by pushing the corners at top or bottom
horizontally in or out.  Horizontal perspective is altered by pushing
the corners up or down.  Rarely an image may require both.  But we
expect to see horizontal perspective as the image recedes to the
"vanishing point".  So use horizontal perspective control sparingly if
at all.

When you took this shot the camera was pointing upward causing the top
to angle in.  To correct it pull the top corners outward. Had you been
at a high vantage point and were pointing the camera down the image
would angle in at the bottom rather than the top.  In that case pull the
bottom corners outward.  You can also make corrections in the opposite
direction by pushing the corners inside of the image.  But if you do
that you will be overlaying the original image area and will need to
crop the final output.  Finally,  note that both the Perspective and
Distort transforms have a center "handle" at the sides of the bounding
box.  The Perspective transform doesn't allow you to do anything with
that.  The Distort transform will allow you to evenly squeeze or expand
the width or height of the image by pushing or pulling the center handle.

To avoid vertical perspective distortion when shooting the camera must
be level.  To avoid horizontal perspective distortion the image plane
must be square to the subject.  Generally, watch the vertical but don't
sweat the horizontal.

Hope that helps.  If it's not clear ask away.

Chuck Norcutt

>>> http://www.greatpix.eu