Re: [OM] Wide angle & polarizers

Subject: Re: [OM] Wide angle & polarizers
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 13:40:46 -0500
On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Seems like it would be even worse on a 21. The Zeiss 21 will take a
> polarizer, but I'm wondering if it would be worth buying. I know some
> of you folks have much wider lenses than I do, and so it seemed the
> logical place to bring up questions of value when it comes to
> polarizers and extreme wide angle lenses.

I once disparaged the lowly PL for just this reason and was duly
thrashed by Doris of Early OM List Fame.  She suggested shooting
brackets with varying degrees of the PL effect.  That has been good
advice for me and favorably changed my practice in using a PL with a
wide.  Also if you shoot the occasional vertical with an extra wide,
the variation will not be as great as when shooting horizontal, so you
might miss it especially in those circumstances.

I like the photo you posted a lot.  It looks like it would be about
perfect with the polarizing effect scaled back just a tad a la Doris.

Joel W.