Re: [OM] Wide angle & polarizers

Subject: Re: [OM] Wide angle & polarizers
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 15:22:31 -0400
I also like that shot and also think that just maybe it's a tad too much
near the center where the polarization is max at 90 degrees from the
sun.  You can see that after passing max it starts to fade again towards
the right.  But it the choice was with or without polarization in this
shot I'd take the polarization.  In this case it just looks like the sky
is brighter in the direction of the sun... unless you look carefully at
the right side.

Shooting an even wider angle will show more apparent variation but I've
never tried anything really wide.  I don't have the filter for the lens.
  But you're in the digital age now.  PhotoShop can blue those skies for
you and more evenly than the polarizer.  Try that first before investing
in another polarizer.  Also, it wants an 82mm which will not be cheap.
Since it's manual and not autofocus you may be able to get away with a
cheaper linear polarizer but some exposure systems are also affected by
linear polarizers.  Dunno about your Nikon.

Chuck Norcutt