Re: [OM] Wide angle & polarizers

Subject: Re: [OM] Wide angle & polarizers
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 21:32:50 -0400
On Apr 11, 2009, at 8:16 PM, Moose wrote:

> It's my opinion that polarizers on digital should be reserved for
> controlling specular highlight reflections and for "seeing through"
> water and glass. In my experience, it's easier to add the darkening
> effects to sky in post than to correct for uneven darkening from a
> polarizer in post.

Ah. A new skill I have to master. <g>

> In this particular case, it's not hard to do a decent job of
> correction
> even on such a small image. However, the circular gradient filter I
> used
> to equalize sky brightness across the frame doesn't quite match the
> polarizer created gradient. It's not too troublesomely obvious on this
> small image, but might be on a larger one. I believe the final result
> would be better from the same image taken without any polarizer at
> all.
> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Whitmire/PolarSky.htm>

I like it! Where does one find the process described? Or does one ask
His Mooseness to describe it? The more I do the more I realize I don't
know.

> You are correct. The wider the lens, the worse the problem of uneven
> sky. In fact, it starts to happen even without polarizer with very
> wide
> lenses and some sun angles. Here's a 17 mm shot of some nice Maine
> clouds that may have been hanging over Round Pond, as I think that's
> sorta the direction of the shot.
> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Process/Polarize/Polar.htm>

Casco Bay. A bit south and west of here. Round Pond is on Muscongus
Bay. I've been to Wolfe Neck a number of times. Nice paths. Good
woods. Some bodacious osprey nests. Haven't been down there in a while.

> LCE and Curves adjust micro and macro contrast. I then thought the
> blue
> might be overdone, so tried toning it down.

LCE I've got. Curves I'm learning, especially since CS3 and 4 give us
those convenient sliders, obviating the need to actually drag the line
on the graph, which frustrated me no end. <g>

Thanx!

--Bob Whitmire
www.bwp33.com