Re: [OM] Chinook Pass #1, Mt. Rainier

Subject: Re: [OM] Chinook Pass #1, Mt. Rainier
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 07:42:01 -0400
Thanks.  I had bought the Tamron 20-40 about 6 months before the trip
but had hardly used it. It was in an ebay auction that didn't seem to be
gathering any attention and I bought it for (I think) USD 79.  Then I
bought a Tamron 24-135 specifically for the trip to have a light weight,
wide zoom range walk-around lens.  Much to my surprise it was the 20-40
that got the most usage and usually at the 20mm end.  (actually at 21mm
since the EXIF data reports the lens as 21-39mm)  I never previously
considered myself a wide angle sort of guy but quickly discovered that I
liked the ability to include the near foreground in a landscape.  This
shot was probably taken in my early foreground discovery process since I
see that it was taken at f/22 and probably suffers unnecessarily from
diffraction.  It was only later that I realized that, at 21mm, the
hyperfocal distance is only 4 feet even at f/11.  The foreground is
close but I'm sure there's nothing closer than 2 feet and f/11 would
have gotten it all while allowing both ISO 100 instead of 200 and a
shutter speed of 1/200 instead of 1/100.  This lens now automatically
goes to f/11 whenever it's mounted.  But hyperfocal at 39mm moves out to
14 feet.

Chuck Norcutt