Re: [OM] Wide angle & polarizers

Subject: Re: [OM] Wide angle & polarizers
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 10:40:30 -0700

> I'm of the opinion that using polarizers for the typical darkening of skies
> with lenses wider than about 35mm is a fools errand, as the effect is
> uneven. If that's your goal, get graduated ND filters.

I agree. I've ruined more than a few by cranking up the polarizer effect
too much. It's an addiction. However I think one can go down to 24mm
with a polarizer if you are careful. Beyond 24mm it depends upon the
lens. The Zuiko 18mm for example doesn't need a polarizer as it has
plenty of contrast as does the 16mm. The 21 less which is why I tend to
skip over it in favor of the 18mm when going from the 24mm. I'm not
saying the 21mm is bad however. Also for me it would seem
counterintuitive to stick a big piece of flat glass in front of a highly
curved surface. I have no proof but it's gotta be asking for trouble.

Second comment: If you plan on shooting architectural interiors go with
18mm. Don't worry about a small sacrifice in brightness. A tripod takes
care of that.

Mike