Re: [OM] IMG: Photography from Another Era

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Photography from Another Era
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 18:36:25 -0500
Hi Mike,

George Eastman was involved with a company that bought the rights to the
Aristotype process around 1899.  However, from what I can find, the Eastman
Kodak Co. brought out the direct positive process some time around 1930,
perhaps as a refinement of the earlier process.  Kodak sold all of the
materials needed to produce the photos.  Starting with a roll of sensitized
paper, the paper went through the camera to be exposed, and was then passed
through a series of chemicals and washes which first produced a negative
image, then reversed it for a final image.  The strip of paper was then
dried, cut into images, and sold to the customer.

Since the original exposure went out the door to the customer, all I have
are a few test photos of family members and pets.  The small size was
approximately 1.5" wide by 2" long. I believe there was also a larger size
also available.

Thanks for asking.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA