Re: [OM] More Chinook Pass and the debut of Mt. St. Helens

Subject: Re: [OM] More Chinook Pass and the debut of Mt. St. Helens
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 05:52:46 -0400
Thanks for that.  I've never heard of or even thought about the noise
that must have ensued.  But suddenly blasting away nearly three cubic
kilometers of rock has got to make a big bang.

I think the biggest noise (and ground shaking) I've ever experienced was
the space shuttle lifting off from about 8 miles away.  A sound that
reaches 166 miles is unimaginable to me.  Since the mountain blew to the
north I guess you were well positioned to hear it.  Did you have any
idea what had happened?

Chuck Norcutt