[OM] OM - In the Line of Duty

Subject: [OM] OM - In the Line of Duty
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:08:54 -0500
This weekend I shot a convention and Hip Hop concert.  Total image count for
12 hours of shooting was just under 3000 images.  I shot 14 rolls of film in
the OM-4T and the rest of the pictures were taken with the E-1.  Yes, my
hands, knees, back and feet are a bit sore today.
Obviously, the biggest issue to overcome is the low lighting levels.
 Granted, the stage lighting was quite decent, but much of what I had to
shoot for the client was crowd shots.  Ugh--that's tough!  That D3 looks
kinda good right now...  So, I was reliant upon the spillage of light from
the stage lighting arrays.  Plenty of light for the stage action, especially
when they had the hazers going full-tilt!  But the lighting grid had a huge
amount of those newfangled colored LED lights facing back towards the crowd.
 Those lights are fine for what they are for, but they are anything but
compatible with digital cameras.  (Ain't no full-spectrum lighting from
them). I shot film because of how film reacts to stage lights when they are
included in the picture.

The OM kit was the OM-4T with MD2, 24/2.8, 35-80/2.8 and 50/1.8.  The 24/2.8
was almost glued to the camera most of the time because I had full
unrestricted access to the stage and needed the width. (I stayed on the
perimeter of the stage--mostly).  The E-1 had the 14-54 and also the Tokina
100-300/4 filled out the lens selection.

The T45 proved to be invaluable when I needed to use on-camera flash, but I
did velcro a pair of Vivitar 285HVs to a couple of front-fill speakers for
the occasional crowd shot. (velcro straps to the rescue). The ebay remotes
worked flawlessly and my modified trigger worked perfectly from as far as
100m which was the farthest I went.

I spent a lot of time preparing for this shoot and with the exception of a
spare OM body (OM-2S) and a couple spare MD batteries, I used 100% of what I
brought and desired nothing I didn't. But as I may be doing more concert
events, I can tell that I'm going to have to, uh, make some difficult
purchase decisions. But image licensing from this one event may pay for
something more substantial.  :)

One more concert event next week, then a major convention event the
following week...

AG