[OM] Digital compact

Subject: [OM] Digital compact
From: john.duggan10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 10:38:21 +0000 (GMT)
Hi all,
      Having recently spent a week in Hong Kong I found it hard work lugging
around a Canon 40D with Canon 17/85 lens, Tokina 12/24 lens and Canon 70/200 f4.
 A mate had just bought a Lumix Lx3 and the lowlight shots he produced really
impressed. Lovely shots around the bars of Hong Kong along with street scenes
etc. It was at this point that I decided that digital compacts "had come of
age".
Returning home I resolved to get myself a decent compact. Talked to a friend
who manages a local camera shop and tried out the Lumix. It really is a
brilliant camera! However I walked out of the door with a Canon G9!  Why?
 The Canon's controls were just more user friendly..ISO change dial etc.
More "weight" to the camera...fitted my large hands better. Ditto buttons. Much
longer telephoto...LX3 only goes to 60mm BUT has a brilliant 26mm f2 wide end!
G9 was used...BUT MINT. approx 300 shots taken..I knew the owner.As such it
came at a hefty $150 discount...with full 12 months Guarantee.
However it was a very near run thing. For anyone wanting a wide angle to
standard lens compact with amazing low light performance you will NOT find a
better camera than the Lumix.
http://www.lawrenceripsher.com/blog/2008/08/panasonic-lx3-review---introduction-part-1.html

Regards
  John Duggan,