Re: [OM] Struggling with light at Ballenberg in 2009

Subject: Re: [OM] Struggling with light at Ballenberg in 2009
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 15:57:53 -0500

> No, don't agree with the others. I think the original is a bit flat
> but it also has a pleasant soft pastel effect which has been lost.
> The new version is too harsh - look at that dead shrub and eggs by
> the window - in fact, look at the views through the window which had
> a pleasant, misty effect in the original.  The interior needs some
> sharpening but keep the blacks and 'clarity' down perhaps or you lose
> the antique effect. The wide angle distortion is a bit bothersome in
> the lower corners too.

Andrew, I believe you are onto something here. This is not unlike the B&W
picture I posted recently where everybody complained of it being too
high-key.  Once I corrected the image to satisfy the masses, it lost the
interpretation I worked to achieve. Unfortunately, the specific look I was
aiming for would have worked for another image, but was missing the finesse
in my executed result. I sense the same thing with the images in this
collection. Where the desire for a light, airy look may have been sought,
the execution looked "off" for some reason. Maybe, it's because it had the
distinct "HDR" or "Recovered Highlights/Shadows" look to it that was playing
louder than the melody. The final, corrected, image may have lost some notes
in the melody, but at least the technique/technology isn't so apparent.

AG