Re: [OM] Item number: 270379837711

Subject: Re: [OM] Item number: 270379837711
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:55:33 -0500
Fernando, you did well!  That is an excellent price for an excellent camera.

I'm just wondering if there will ever be a price/demand rebound on top-tier
film equipment which would properly reflect its usability and quality.

I shot a ton of film this week in the OM-3Ti and OM-4T. What an extreme
pleasure it was to use such quality gear in an environment it seems to have
been specifically designed for.

A couple of observations about camera gear:

1. As autofocus gets better, focus screens get worse.

2. As autoexposure gets better, the operational conditions it will work in
gets narrower.

To expound on these two points:  I could very easily manually focus any lens
in the OM bodies in difficult and poor lighting conditions.  Autofocus was
about the same speed, but not nearly as accurate. Manually focusing a lens
in an AF camera is almost a lost cause in comparison to the OM body with
2-13 screen.

Autoexposure of the latest/greatest wonderbrick is easily defeated by
something as simple as wearing glasses. Notice how some people always have
to dial in + 1/2 or so of exposure compensation? It's because too much light
is entering the eyepiece and throwing off the sensor's accuracy.

AG