[OM] Item number: 270379837711

Subject: [OM] Item number: 270379837711
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 14:18:46 -0400
Thanks Bob, chuck, CH and all.  I found the original reference, but had
to go to the way back machine ---it takes quite a bit to load.

http://tinyurl.com/cvl29s

I had excerpted Rachel's comments from Katzeye as well in a previous
post:

I then quieried Rachel at Katzeye on how they achieve both a brighter
screen
yet retain the ability to accurately manually focus fast glass:
I think some have tried Brightscreen screens on the 5D/5DMkII which
have helped some
in this regard but was not a total solution.?

Rachel replied:

"Regarding the brightness and focusing of fast glass, that is a
legitimate
concern and loss of focusing ability is commonly the case with
brightness
enhancement techniques that apply a coating to the screen.? Essentially,
what those coating techniques do is cut down on the diffusion (and by
extension, the focusing contrast or 'snap') by smoothing over the
surface.
I don't want to single anyone out by name, but that general idea is the
traditional brightness enhancing technique that's been around for a
while
and is used by most of the other companies you can find offering
brighter
screens.? Our process is significantly different, however.? We do not
coat
the screen and we do not simply smooth over the surface.? The details
of our
OptiBrite treatment are of course proprietary, but we actually change
the
structure of the plastic at the microscopic level in a very controlled
way
to modify the scattering profile for a specific result.? What this
allows us
to do is maintain the overall level of diffusion so that the focusing
contrast remains high and focusing of fast glass is still optimal.? But
within the overall diffusion profile, we can preferentially augment
specific
scattering angles to increase the amount of light that reaches the
eye.? So,
to make a long story short, the OptiBrite treatment we offer on the
Katz Eye
screens does not have a negative impact on the focusing of fast glass
as is
the case with other brightness enhancement processes."

After a few more emails she admitted that some focus contrast is ALWAYS
lost with any brightening process.
They worked it out for FF Canyon but have to waste a bunch of screens
as it is tough to get it right consistently.
She said the the EG-S is btter with fast glass though is way toooo dark
with slower lenses.  They are unlikely to market them from what she was
saying due to the economics.  There is a maxwell treatment.  Hmmm

Sooo,
I'd bet lunch that if one takes 10 shots with  the OM-4(t) with a 1-13
screen with Velvia?  compared to  10 shots with a 2-series and look at
them with a loop
using a Z. 50 1.2 wide open that the focus will be nailed at a better
rate with the 1-series.
Notice that I would not bet my 4T (John has it anyways)

Mike
Arrgh, back to work