Re: [OM] What I did for Earth Day

Subject: Re: [OM] What I did for Earth Day
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 14:02:02 -0300
Lovely pictures, lovely arboretum, lovely idea to honor the Earth.

Hard or impossible to pick my favorite. Rather, I did feel as if walking
alongside with you.
Here we have a nice arboretum, the Arboretum Lussich in Maldonado - but
it was severely damaged during a wind-storm during winter 2005 and
hadn't visited it since. I have too many opportunities to feel sad, and
adding one is no good business.

You managed to make me miss spring .... so I scanned two sakura [cherry
blossom] shots, each with different gear and different springs and
different light, just in case you may want to look at them (hope they
are cherry blossoms, learned that yesterday thanks to Nicoletta Da Ros):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fernando_gonzalez_gentile/3494938304/
-->link to 1280 and link to view on black.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fernando_gonzalez_gentile/3494602525/
-->same links

But it's autumn here, yellow leaves and the 'ciprés calvo' has turned red.
Had a hard time nailing on that red, it's more red than it seems if you
watch it carefully under early afternoon strong sunlight, and more
translucent too, which makes shadows inside the folliage not too deep.
Of course, foliage looks not at all as sharp as it does in the Provia,
so I'm about to go back to your thread about foliage ... too many
things, but in the meanwhile, I discovered a most obvious reason to
explain why it was so difficult for me to use the 4000ED. In short, I
was not using it properly.

Autumn foliage then, two versions using Highlight/Shadow control:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fernando_gonzalez_gentile/3478344474/
-->better, same links

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fernando_gonzalez_gentile/3475294532/
-->so-so, same links.

Both the sakura and the ciprés calvo were shot at two different small
Arboretum we have here in Mvd, the sakura at the 'Parque de los Aliados'
(crossing the street where the USA and British Embassies are), and the
ciprés at the 'Parque Rodó'.

Fernando.