Re: [OM] What I did for Earth Day

Subject: Re: [OM] What I did for Earth Day
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 16:04:38 -0300
Absolutely Chuck, 525 (Sept. 2005) was what I tried to repeat when I had
the 135 & OM 4. As soon as the sakuras started to blossom, I walked as
far as the corner of the street where my home is, where about a dozen of
these trees grow. I lost valuable minutes of perfect light looking for
some remotely similar branch to the one I had found by mere chance three
years before. I found none !. Every blossom was too high to get a
similar background .... . When shooting 525, I was quite aware of
bokeh-exploring (it's implied here that I agree on what was recently
discussed about bokeh judgement when a series1 or 2 focusing screen are
used - had a 1-4 screen on the 2n). Light was at steady-state, so I took
my time and started at ƒ/5,6 up to ƒ/16 (where the rear blossoms are
quite sharp). This was the winner for me, although at the moment I
wished to spot meter the white flowers and have something better than a
bean bag over the lens and body, and was not wit enough to make a +1/3
and +2/3 (+1/3 would have been dead-on).

Foliage detail in the ciprés calvo !? - well, either I have to change my
monitor (CRT Graphic Series G75f+ - ViewSonic) and get a LCD, or I
should send you the original Provia for you to see :-). Anyway, I feel
better after your appreciation.

About what I discovered when using the 4000ED:
I did this only on 525 so far. After making the preview scan, it's
perfectly possible to take the slide out of the scanner and make all the
levels - curves adjustments while watching the slide, sort of 'real
time' adjustments. So far, I made adjustments looking at the preview in
the monitor while guessing how it should look like, in reference to my
remembered perception before feeding it into. Quite a test if I wanted
to measure perceptual memory, but very frustrating for photographic
goals. Such an obvious simplicity, it took me three years to check if
possible, and found it written nowhere - I feel like if I had discovered
that Earth can be circumnavigated :-)
Now, could anybody tell me that I'm wrong?

Thanks for looking, Chuck.

Fernando.