Re: [OM] What I did for Earth Day

Subject: Re: [OM] What I did for Earth Day
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 13:20:54 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

Thanks for the picks, Chuck. Carol approves of your choices.

> And the winner is...
> <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/StrybingArboretum/slides/_MG_5697ia.htm>

One of my favorites, too. Quite Zen. Almost all of the bamboo was
properly standing straight up. This one was slanted right across my path
almost at eye level; practically screaming "take my picture!" I thought
it would fit the frame better and look better shot so it appears
vertical. Carol had just ducked past and walked on. Fortunately, she's
patient when I disappear from behind her, caught by yet another subject.

> and some lovely runners-up...
> <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/StrybingArboretum/slides/_MG_5740cria.htm>

Oh yes! The subject just knocked me out when it came into view. In
retrospect, I should have tried a second shot at a smaller aperture. It
was quite dim, ISO 1600, f5.6, 1/125, with a relatively long focal
length to get the angle and compression I wanted. This is one where a
real tripod would have helped. I don't mind the slight OOF foreground,
but I'd prefer the top to be a little sharper.

You may have noticed that one kind of subject that fascinates me is
textures. Many, including a couple in this set, seem to defy my attempts
to capture and display on the web with anything like my impression of
the originals subjects.

> <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/StrybingArboretum/slides/_MG_5744cotcria.htm>

Thanks! This one is a bit of a cheat, in that it was staged. It's a leaf
from the tree shown in the prior image that I had Carol pick up from the
ground and hold in the dappled afternoon sun. An accurate image of the
leaf, but not in situ.

> <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/StrybingArboretum/slides/_MG_5763cria.htm>

This one is all down to Carol. As I caught up to her from photographing
other things, she was staring down at an odd angle at an unpromising
area. It was only when I asked what she was looking at and she moved
aside that I saw how the lowering sun was creating rainbows in the mist
from a powerful sprinkler spraying some trees/brush. A little opening in
the foliage created a good place full of the mist. I'd have almost
certainly missed it on my own.

The angles were such that the rainbow could only be seem from the trail
above, and only at a difficult angle through a tree's trunks. Another
reason to have a long lens. If you look at the EXIF info, you'll see
that many images, including quite a few apparent close-ups, are taken at
or near 300 mm. I really like the ability to "reach" subjects I can't
get close to and the close focus ability at the long end.

Moose