Re: [OM] What I did for Earth Day

Subject: Re: [OM] What I did for Earth Day
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 13:46:57 -0700
usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Hooray,
> A Moose post with some great images.

Thanks!

> There was a stealth pseudo high mag macro--- the insect is metal--I remember
> that statue from my last visit to that park on the AM before going to visit
> Moose.

LOL! Standing in front of the large sculpture, it didn't occur to me how
the scale might trick the eye in a web image, but I see the apparent
scale caught Fernando.

I'm glad you saw the gardens. I was thinking as we wandered how nice it
would be for some of our frineds who visit to see them. Stowe Lake just
across the park road is another lovely place to visit. That's where I
took the close-up heron pic I posted a while ago. That was o a visit by
a frined from Maine.

> Duckling shots turned out nicely.

Thanks; can't go much wrong with such a subject obligingly presenting
itself. :-)
> Also noticed the -2/3 compensation.  I thought that was the Moose A650/G9
> evaluative metering sunny 16 setting.

Yup

> It works well with the G9 (thanks for mentioning that) --still high contrast
> conditions with deep shadows and bright skies are tough for the small
> sensors--pick blocked shadows or white sky.

At ISO 80-100 on the A650, I can pick up quite a bit of shadow detail
with RAW files, some care and use of NeatImage. above that, as you say,
shadow noise starts to limit the effective dynamic range.

> I was not aware either that Moose liked the -2/3 approach with the 5D for
> those conditions.

Yup. I'm no good with spot metering on a wander like this with wildly
diverse lighting in so many shots. I guess I just don't have the eye
and/or the patience. so it's evaluative metering and - 2/3 EV. If that
weren't giving me the results I want, I might try something else, but it
ain't broke ...

Moose